Hanna Berendina Onnink (1841-1929) was born in Kotten, Netherlands, on December 2, 1841. Hanna married Jan Hendrik te Selle in Winterswijk, Netherlands, on September 28, 1865, and they departed the next day, along with Jan Hendrik’s younger brother, Harmen Jan te Selle, on an epic journey to America.
After their voyage to America, Hanna and Jan Hendrik first settled with Jan Hendrik’s aunt and uncle, Janna te Selle Bloemers and Gerrit Willem Bloemers, near Sheboygan, Wisconsin. After a few years as a Wisconsin farm family, Hanna and Jan Hendrik and their three children moved to Lancaster County, Nebraska, where land was plentiful and available for homesteading.
Hanna and Jan Hendrik settled in the village of Holland, Lancaster County, Nebraska, where they had ten children, eight of whom lived into adulthood. These children, and their eventual spouses, are listed below:
- Janna Geertruida TeSelle (1866-1946) [Spouse: David DeBoer (1862-1939)]
- Jan Willem (John William) TeSelle (1867-1945) [Spouses: (1) Geertje VanderBeek (1871-1922); (2) Jeanette W. Bogaard (1884-1973)]
- Dela (“Dillie”) TeSelle (1869-1971) [Spouses: (1) Gerrit William ten Hulzen (1864-1912); (2) Henry J. Wubbels (1854-1943)]
- Miena TeSelle (1872-1872)
- Albert TeSelle (1873-1954)
- Hendrik (“Henry”) TeSelle (1875-1960) [Spouse: Martha Wismer (1877-1955)]
- Gerrit TeSelle (1878-1948) [Spouse: Jennie Wismer (1878-1964)]
- Hanna Gesiena TeSelle (1880-1944) [Spouse: Richard T. Liesveld (1879-1956)
- Miena Berendina (“Dina”) TeSelle (1881-1893
- Benjamin Hendrik TeSelle (1884-1971) [Spouse: Johanna G. Lefferdink (1884-1980)]
The bold surnames above are for spouses of the TeSelle women. These surnames may be associated with some of Jan Hendrik te Selle descendants, so watch for those names in your genealogy records. When you follow the links above to visit the Profile pages of Jan Hendrik’s children, you will see that we do not yet have a lot of information about most of them. We hope that you, the reader, will be able to provide us with some history and memorabilia about one or more of these TeSelle ancestors.In addition to the Profile pages, please follow the links to the Jan Hendrik te Selle family Gallery and to other Related Content listed below.
Hanna Berendina Onnink te Selle died on March 17, 1929, in Firth, Lancaster County, Nebraska. She is buried in Holland Cemetery, Holland, Lancaster County, Nebraska, along with her husband, Jan Hendrik, and nearby to his two immigrant brothers and their spouses.