Janna TeSelle was born in Oostburg, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, on 31 January 1866. She is the first child of Jan Hendrik te Selle (1838-1921) and Hanna Berendina Onnink (1841-1929). Janna was born just three months after her parents landed in New York after traveling across the Atlantic from the Netherlands. The family traveled from New York to Wisconsin to stay with Jan Hendrik’s Aunt Janna te Selle Bloemers (1796-1870) , baby Janna’s namesake. Janna moved to Nebraska in 1870 with her parents, and two younger siblings, “Jan Willem” John William (1867-1945) and Dela “Dillie” (1869-1971).
Janna married David DeBoer in 1885. Janna and David had 10 children:
- Rendit DeBoer (1886-1944) [Spouse: Sarah Deyoung ( )]
- John Henry DeBoer (1888-1941) [Spouse: Jennie G. TenHulzen (1888-1985)]
- Albert DeBoer (1890-1949)
- Hanna DeBoer (1891-1974) [Spouse: John A. TenHulzen ( )]
- Anna DeBoer (1893-1987) [Spouse: George Fischer ( )]
- Della DeBoer (1895-1995) [Spouse: William R. Judah ( )]
- Johannes “James” DeBoer (1896-1977) [Spouse: Vesta Boell (1901-1986)]
- Henry DeBoer (1898-1991) [Spouse: Lillin V. Heckman (1901-1996)]
- Garrett DeBoer (1900-1998) [Spouse: Marie J. Offer (1901-1983)]
- Bertha DeBoer (1906-2002) [Spouse: Richard William Gerdes (1905-1950)]
Janna TeSelle DeBoer died in Holland, Lancaster County, Nebraska on 5 December 1946. She is buried next to husband David in the Holland Cemetery, Holland, Lancaster County, Nebraska.